Click Here to open a Google© map in a new window.
Francis Jessop of Broomhall gained ownership of a corn mill, Broomhall Mill, in 1664 through his marriage to Barbara Eyre.
John and Thomas Sheldon were the millers in 1762. In 1778 Samuel Andrew was at the mill.
In 1800 the mill was struck by lightning. Andrew bought the freehold in 1818. Joseph Bradley was the miller in 1820 and then Benjamin Layton in 1825. John Bradley was milling in 1833 and Samuel Price from 1837. John Newbould was the owner of the site in 1845 and Price was the miller.
Mary and James Brailsford were tenants by 1850-56. Thomas Stead was paying Newbould’s executers rent in 1870 but by 1872 a school in Napier Street had been built over the site of the dam.
What is visible now?
The mill building was intact in 1894 but no longer exists today. The area between Summerfield Street, Napier Street and Cemetery Road where the Broomhall Wheel and Mill were sited, has been extensively re-developed.