Click Here to open a Google© map in a new window.
William Jessop of Broomhall owned two wheels in 1692 – Broomhall Mill (corn-milling) and Broomhall Cutlers Wheel.
In 1760 the dam was extended and Thomas Newbould was the tenant at the cutlers wheel. The Newbould family worked the wheel for a century until it went out of use in the 1850s.
Samuel Newbould was an edge tool maker and formed a partnership to produce saws and fenders. His partners were the Rev James Wilkinson and Philip Gell. Newbould bought the freehold of the ‘grinding wheel in Little Sheffield’ and fourteen acres of land from the Gell estate in 1818. By 1856 the site had been extended and included an edge tool wheel house and a saw wheel house, suggesting the possibility that a steam engine had been installed. In 1860 Newbould was still the owner of the site, but the wheel was not operating.
What is visible now?
Summerfield Street passes over the site of the Broomhall Wheel dam. The area between Summerfield Street, Napier Street and Cemetery Road, has been extensively re-developed although changes in the ground levels still indicate the positions of the dams.