Click Here to open a Google© map in a new window.
William Jessop of Broomhall leased part of Stalker Wood wheel to Thomas Phillipot in 1606-7, for the grinding of knives and other edged tools. In 1615 Phillipot and several other cutlers took out a ten year lease for ‘a Cutlers Mill and Wheels’ called Stalker Wood.
The wheel remained in the ownership of Jessop’s heirs throughout the 18th century. In 1765 Samuel Broomhead was the tenant and he was responsible for the expansion of the dam.
By 1793 Joseph Ward was the tenant and the wheel comprised of ten troughs and fourteen workers. Ward was still the tenant in 1805.
Joseph and William Wilson took over the lease in 1806. In 1818, Joseph bought the wheel and several acres of land from the Broomhall estate. By 1837-8 a new dam had been added to the site.
Henry Wilson was both owner and occupier of the site during the 1840s to 1860s.The Wilsons remained as owners until the mid 1870s when the mill was no longer occupied. The Hardy Patent Pick Co. used parts of the building from 1876-1884.
By 1889/93, there was no evidence of either the dam or water wheel.
What is visible now?
The weir in the Porter Brook which supplied water to the Stalker dam is still visible just before the brook flows under the main entrance to the General Cemetery. The line of the head goit can be seen, although the goit has been filled in and covered by the Frog Walk footpath and Stalker Lees Road.