Click Here to open a Google© map in a new window.
The wheel was built between 1753 and 1754. Although two separate wheels known as ‘Leche Carr’ existed as early as 1584 in the surrounding area and were being used during the seventeenth century.
In 1753 Richard Hall, cutler of Crookes Moorside, took out a lease to build a wheel above the Lescar Wheel on Sharrow Moor. Rights to the land and access to water involved both the Fitzwilliam, Bright and Norfolk estates.
By 1777-8 Joseph and Benjamin Broomhead were the tenants with fourteen troughs and fourteen employees. On their respective deaths the tenancy rights were passed on to a son and daughter (Rutherford).
In 1827 Hall and Dyson were sub-tenants. John Dewsnap was leasing the wheel in 1830 and bought it the following year. Dewsnap sold out to Henry Wilson in 1854 who leased the wheel to James Howarth (1855-75).
The wheel was still in existence in 1893 but was then demolished and the dam filled in.
What is visible now?
The position of the dam for Upper Lescar Wheel is indicated by the shops and dwellings on Sharrow Vale Road between Hunters Bar and Steel Road and the cobbled lane behind them.