Click Here to open a Google© map in a new window.
This is the eastern most of the three Endcliffe Wheels located in the sub-manor of Broomhall. It was known as ‘Elcliffe Wheel’ in 1706 when the tenants were John Savage and Widow Newton. William Savage and Benjamin Newton were the tenants from 1714 and by the 1730s it was Savage and Nicholas Ratcliffe (scissorsmith).
John Ratcliffe inherited his father’s tenure in 1769 (‘one half of the wheel tools and a trow’).
By 1801 William Sykes was the sole tenant renting the Wheel from the Rev James Wilkinson and Philip Gell (joint owners of the Broomhall estate). The wheel had been expanded to ten troughs with ten users and was being used for knife grinding.
William Loy took over the tenancy in 1803 and William Wilson of Sharrow Mills bought the wheel and fifty acres of the Broomhall estate in 1818. Wilson’s occupancy had ended by 1844. The Carr family bought the wheel in the 1850s. The tenants were T H & J W Harrison and W Howson.
Robert Younge (wine merchant) bought the wheel in the 1860s and his nephew Francis Otter had ownership by 1875.
The wheel was out of use by 1891. The dam was used as a bathing pool from 1903 until 1938.
The mill buildings have been demolished and the mill pond has been filled in.
What is visible now?
The weir and sluice which fed the dam are still visible (photo pm10-001). The footpath which can be seen (in the same photo) follows the line of the long head goit. The site of the dam is now a flat grassed area between the Porter and the wooded hill side.