Click Here to open a Google© map in a new window.
This is the middle one of three Endcliffe Wheels. It was built by Isaac Staniforth of Little Sheffield, at the bottom of Smith Wood within the area known as ‘The Holme’. Staniforth was a cutler and for the next forty years the four troughs were all tenanted by cutlers.
In 1769 Jonathan Hall rebuilt the wheel and by 1794 it was operating eleven troughs. Holme Wheel was leased out for 63 years in 1785 to Thomas Oates (publican) on behalf of the Norfolk estate.
After several changes in tenants the Carr family bought the wheel from the Norfolk estate in 1811.
Thomas Sansom became the owner in 1831 when there were seventeen troughs producing high quality blades for Watson and Bradbury silver platers.
The business was sold to H and J W Harrison and W Howson in 1849. They had a retailers outlet on Norfolk Street.
Robert Younge (wine merchant) bought the wheel in 1859. His nephew Francis Otter had ownership by the late 1880s.
The wheel was out of use by 1891.
The dam was used as a boating lake from 1903 with the hull being used as a garden store.
What is visible now?
No buildings survive today and the land surrounding the wheel has been landscaped as part of Endcliffe Park. The main path through the park runs along the side of the dam, and past the head goit and the sluice and weir which feed it.