Click Here to open a Google© map in a new window.
This is one of three Endcliffe Wheels and was situated on the Ecclesall (south) side of the river although the weir that fed it was on land included in the Porter leases. John Ibberson constructed the weir in 1749 on farm land belonging to Stephen Hawksworth. A cutlers wheel was erected on lands of Montague Wortley opposite Smith Wood. (Smith Wood was on the south side of Rustlings Road.)
By 1794 John Ibberson was employing ten men, each with their own trough.
Daniel Brammall (filesmith) bought the wheel in 1802, he enlarged the dam and took on two partners, George Naylor and Thomas Sanderson. Brammall was declared bankrupt in 1824 and the wheel was sold to Thomas Sansom, merchant and the owner of Holme Wheel. Sansom and Sons had enlarged the wheel by 1830 and were running seventeen troughs.
The business was sold to H & J W Harrison and W Howson in 1849. They had a retailers outlet on Norfolk Street.
Robert Younge (wine merchant) bought the wheel in 1859 and his nephew, Francis Otter, had ownership by 1875 when the site was in good working order. The wheel was not used after this date.
What is visible now?
No buildings survive today. The land surrounding the wheel has been landscaped as part of Endcliffe Park. The main path through the park runs alongside the mill pond which is a prominent feature at this western end of the park.