Click Here to open a Google© map in a new window.
Stephen Hawksworth (farmer) leased land on the Hallam side of the Porter Brook in 1747. By 1753 he and Jonathan Hall (razorsmith) were operating a water-powered cutlery wheel. In 1754 the wheel was referred to as ‘New Wheel’ and then ‘Cutler Wheel’.
Hall had left by 1759 and ‘Joseph Ibbotson and Co’ was operating the wheel. Ibbotson became the sole tenant in 1775 and the site was then known as ‘Ibbotson Wheel’.
By 1794 there were eleven troughs and twelve employees. Ibbotson bought the freehold in 1812. When he died the site was sold at auction to Ebenezer Marsden who operated the site for the next thirty years.
In 1829 a new wheel and machinery had been installed and the site was now listed as ‘Upper Spurgear Wheel’, although the name ‘Ibbotson Wheel’ continued to be used until the end of the nineteenth century.
In the early 1860s John Elliott was the owner and occupier, followed by Robert Younge as owner and Joseph Butler as tenant. From the late 1870s Younge’s nephew Francis Otter became the owner and he conveyed the works to the Sheffield Corporation in 1900. An agreement was reached in 1902 with the Ibbotson family to quit the site.
The site was in good repair in 1930 and a proposal was made to let this wheel become a museum alongside of Shepherd Wheel but the proposal was not implemented.
Demolition of the wheel and workshops took place in 1950.
What is visible now?
The dam is in good repair and is a feature in Bingham Park. The head goit and overflow of the dam are still in place.