Click Here to open a Google© map in a new window.
This site also referred to as Porter Wheel and Holme Wheel and Dam and also Whiteley Wood Bottoms Wheel and Nether Mill. (Note- there is another Holme Wheel further down the Porter Brook.
In 1754 this newly erected water-powered mill was being used for cutlery grinding. The Norfolk manorial land had been let to Elizabeth Unwin who in turn leased the milling rights to John Ibbotson.
Ibbotson renewed the lease in 1775 but eight years later John Mitchell and Co had taken over the operation it was now referred to as ‘Porter Wheel’. Between 1778 and 1792 the same mill is named as ‘Holme Wheel and Dam’.
In 1803 Mitchell and Co were still operating the site which had undergone another name change to ‘Leather Wheel’. Mitchell and partners bought the freehold for the site in 1811. Samuel Mitchell was declared bankrupt in 1835 at this point Edward Taylor and Messrs Beardshaw were the occupiers of the site. It comprised of one water wheel driving six troughs.
1838 the site was listed as Whiteley Wood Bottoms Wheel and Shops, owned by Miss Silcock.
The site continued to operate until 1884 but was it was closed by 1891.
By 1901 the mill was declared ‘empty’ and was demolished in 1907. The dam was filled in in 1957.
What is visible now?
The weir for the Leather Wheel Dam is still present east of the road bridge and the footpath runs alongside the head goit for the dam. The position of the wheel and mill buildings at the end of the dam can be seen although nothing remains of their structure.
The dam overflow is still in place. It drains the water from the goit back into the brook.