Click Here to open a Google© map in a new window.
A new Cutlers Wheel was built below ‘Sheath’ Bridge in 1731. Gosling’s 1736 map shows the site of the Cutlers Wheel at the side of the River Don but fed by a goit from the Sheaf. It was being leased by Peter Simon and then his heir also called Peter from 1731 to 1756. In 1753, the site comprised of a grinding wheel and six troughs.
James Sheldon and Benjamin Blonk were tenants in 1759 and their tenancy continued for the rest of the 18th Century. By 1787 a ‘new’ mill had been built north of the old one and by 1794, they had fifty troughs but employed only ten hands. The site was referred to as Simon’s Wheel as well as Castle Orchards Wheel. The old mill had been built over by 1832.
Silcock and Company are shown as tenants in a Trade Directory in 1814. Their lease ended in 1847.
Extensions for the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway in 1847/8 required a viaduct (sm30-001 – subsequently known as the Wicker Arches) to be built over the Wicker and the River Don to a new station.
The new station (Sheffield Victoria) was built on a raised embankment at the eastern end of the viaduct, on top of the site of the Castle Orchard (Simon) Wheel.
The new Victoria Station was officially opened in 1851.
Passenger services through Victoria Station were withdrawn at the beginning of 1970 and the station closed 1971. The track has been lifted but the trackbed has been preserved for possible future use.
The station platforms and buildings were demolished to make way for the refurbishment and redevelopment of the station hotel which is now operating as the Royal Victoria Hotel. Photo sm30-002 shows the River Don flowing northwards under the viaduct carrying the railway into the site of the platforms at the western end of the station.