Click Here to open a Google© map in a new window.
The Norfolk estate were the owners of Pond Forge in 1664, figures showing the output between the 1680s and 90s indicate it was not very efficient.
In 1716 Robert Thompson was paying rates for the Forge Wheel.
Thomas Wilson, a shearsmith, took out a 21 year lease for the site in 1729/30. By this time, the forge was a substantial business.
James Bowden was leasing Pond Forge (formerly called Forge Wheel) in 1751.
The dam was extended in 1766 when it was being operated by the Kenyons.
During the 1790s, more work was carried out by Kenyon, Frith and Woolhouse. A new dam was constructed to the north of the Bamforth dam and they installed a steam engine.
In 1805 John Kenyon, Philip Frith and George Woodhouse bought the freehold from the Norfolk estate. It was then used as an iron forge and as a slitting mill.
William Parker was the tenant of Ponds Forges from 1840 to 1851. He was replaced by the Marsh Brothers in 1852. In 1853 a steam engine was installed for the upper forge.
The building of the Midland Railway station over the Bamforth dam affected the provision of water to the forge. In 1872, the last industrial buildings at the Ponds Forge were set up and remained in operation until 1988.
The Ponds area has been re-developed several times during the 20th Century and nothing now remains of the dam. The entrance gate of George Seniors Ponds Forge works (sm29-001) has been preserved and re-erected close to its original site at what is now the rear of the Ponds Forge Sports Centre.