Click Here to open a Google© map in a new window.
This site was originally a cutler’s grinding wheel, built by George Marriott (scissorsmith) and others in 1732. They were leasing the mill from the Norfolk Estates.
George Marriott was the sole leaseholder in 1754 when it was known as Marriott Wheel. By 1760 a lead mill had been erected next to the wheel. Farm land from George Carlton was purchased and the course of the adjacent River Porter was straightened to improve access. Lead casting, red lead manufacture was taking place and brewhouses and vinegar sheds formed part of the new site. The cutlers wheel was operating fourteen troughs and five brushes in 1777 but from 1786 it was no longer in use.
The mill was described as ‘White Lead Mill and Cutlers Grinding Wheel’ in 1814. Water from both the Sheaf and the Porter was being used to operate a 17 feet diameter water wheel in 1830. Rawson Barker and Company was working the mill from around 1830 to 1850.
In 1865 there were five separate activities on the site; lead refining, white and red lead production, paint grinding and cooperage. By this date steam power had been introduced and water power was no longer used.
The site was deemed hazardous in 1865 but continued as lead works until 1901.
Nothing remains of the Lead Mill Site although there is a weir in the River Sheaf south of the Duchess Road Bridge.