Click Here to open a Google© map in a new window.
In 1581, Harrie Pearson and Joseph Twygg were renting the two ends at this mill.
From 1696, William Turner and John Cooper rented the two ends, they were both shearsmiths. The mill continued to be rented by the Turner family until the death of Joseph Turner in the 1750s. The Turner lease was taken over by trustees on behalf of Joseph’s infant son also called Joseph.
Joseph reclaimed his inheritance in 1770 and immediately sold the lease to Fox and Norris who were still the tenants in 1788 and 1794, when there were 32 troughs at the mill.
By 1796 they were operating 42 troughs, with two water wheels. Norris was still the lease holder in 1800.
The mill was put up for sale in 1810 when it was described as a newly erected Scythe Manufactory, the property of the late firm of Cam, Genn, Greenhow and Hewitt.
In 1825, the lease was held by James Cam.
From 1840 to the 1870s, the executors of J. Cam were the owners, with Samuel and Robert Linley occupying the works for their scythe making business. A lease of 1845 prohibited the use of steam power.
The works closed down in about 1880. Nothing of the works remains.