Click Here to open a Google© map in a new window.
This mill was probably built by John Cooper, on the Norfolk Estates in 1742. In 1750 it was leased to Marshall and William Cooper and operated as a cutlers wheel. At the end of their lease in 1765 the mill was taken over by J. Hoyland and Company. (John Hoyland – button maker, William Middleton – button maker, John Trevers Younge – mercer and William Staniforth – linen draper)
Enlargements were carried out. Part of this involved making a cut to straighten the course of the River Sheaf as well as enlarging the dam. Land was taken from both sides of the River Sheaf on farm land belonging to Thomas Bramall. At this time, it was being used as a rolling mill.
In 1777 it was referred to as ‘Rolling Mill and Refinery’ at Row Lees. By the end of the eighteenth century, a steam engine had been installed. There were six pairs of rollers and the dam had been upgraded.
In 1836 the works was operating a 25hp steam engine, three pairs of rolls for plated metal and a single breast-shot water wheel. The dam was still intact in 1863 but it is not known whether water power was still being used.
The works survived the building of the Midland Railway but it was not in use in 1875 AD. Rental papers show that the works had been partly demolished. The dam was filled in as part of the construction of Queens Road at the end of the 19th Century.