Click Here to open a Google© map in a new window.
Heeley Wheel is first mentioned in 1581 when John Hobson was paying rent for wheels at Healy Bridge.
The Pearson family were the tenants of three cutler’s wheels in two houses at Heeley Bridge in the 17th Century. William Blithe of Norton Lees is recorded as renting a little ‘stithy’ and a grinding stone at Heeley Wheele in 1631 and 1632.
By 1758 the west end of the site had been developed to house six new troughs, the older east end had four troughs.
In 1770 the mill was referred to as Taylor’s Grinding Wheel. Between 1770 and 1784 the dam was enlarged. The site was now part of the Norfolk estates.
By 1794 only eight troughs were working. In 1799 Peter Wigfall, the tenant from 1782, bought the freehold from the Norfolk Estates.
From 1835 to 1849, the mill was owned by the Shore family. Mary and James Brailsford were the tenants for part of this time and were using it for corn milling.
In 1855 AD, the mill was owned by William Bagshawe but it was unoccupied in 1863 when the Midland Railway survey was carried out. The mill was demolished when the Midland Railway was constructed and Heeley Station was built on the site.