Click Here to open a Google© map in a new window.
Around 1180, Richard Hauselin of Little Sheffield gave permission for the abbot and cannons of Beauchief Abbey to build a dam and divert the course of the River Sheaf for New Mill. The mill was used for milling corn and was located in the furlong of Holleford. In 1513 the mill was leased to John Blythe of Norton for sixty years.
After the dissolution of the Abbey in 1544, the Crown gave the corn mill to Robert and William Swyft.
Ownership of the mill passed to John Parker of Norton Lees in 1582. It remained in the Parker family until 1622, when John Bullock bought the property. At this point it was being used for both corn milling and metal working – scythe and sickle grinding.
By 1749 John Bright owned the wheel; the tenants were forging and grinding sharp-edged tools. John Potter of Treeton bought the wheel in 1749 and by 1781 it was referred to as ’Hammer wheel’. John Potter‘s son William was the owner and John Osborne was the tenant.
Between 1820 and 1850 the main tenants were all scythe and sickle makers. The Potters sold the wheel to the Shores in 1822. After the collapse of the Parker Shore bank in 1843 the site was sold to John Rodgers (1849/50). The wheel was still in operation until 1891.
Today two rows of cottages can still be seen in Norton Hammer Lane. Nothing remains of the original works or dams. The upper dam has houses built on it along Ulverston Road and Woodseats Road. The weir is still in good condition and can be seen from the Archer Road Bridge.