Ryecroft Brook/Limb Brook
Click Here to open a Google© map in a new window.
Edward Pegg rented the mill out to Edward Ash of Tideswell from 1671 to 1674.
The mill, powered by water from both the Limb Brook and the Ryecroft Brook, was used for lead smelting.
By 1800 the Duke of Devonshire was the owner. John Unwin was using it as a corn mill and it was known as Dore Corn Mill.
After John Unwin retired in 1851, his son Robert Unwin became the miller.
By 1871, Robert was no longer milling and by 1884 the mill was in ruins.
What is visible now?
The site of the mill pond is still clearly indicated by the raised banks and hollow area. Linear depressions show the positions of the head goits.
Some stonework at the overflow is still in place. The wheel pit is still in evidence as a substantial stone structure in the bank of the mill pond.