Click Here to open a Google© map in a new window.
John Bright was the owner of a water wheel on this site in 1586. It passed to Henry Bright in 1655 when it was being used to grind corn. The Bright’s sold their Whirlow estates in 1723 and from 1726 Thomas Hollis, a former Sheffield cutler took over the ownership of the mill.
The site was administered by the Trustees of Hollis Hospital (this continued until 1935). The Trustees rebuilt the mill in 1734 and in 1783 it was still being used as a corn mill.
In 1803 a grinding wheel was built and between 1806 and 1827 a new water wheel was erected and the dam was enlarged. Alexander Barker & Co were the tenants operating a saw wheel.
William Tyzack leased the wheel between 1831 and 1847. Further repairs were carried out to the buildings, wheel and dam.
The tenancy passed to William Furness in 1853
William Furness was still the tenant in 1901 when a water turbine was installed to replace the water wheel.
By 1933 the mill was in disrepair and it was sold to the City Corporation. The mill building was used as a store for maintenance equipment when the neighbouring area was converted into playing fields.
What is visible now?
The building is roofless and in an unsafe condition with only the end wall at the side of the wheel pit still standing. The other three walls have been demolished down to below the original windows .
The wheel pit is still in place and contains some remnants of the water feed pipe and turbine drive shaft.