Click Here to open a Google© map in a new window.
This mill was built in 1280 by the Canons of Beauchief Abbey on land gifted by Sir Ralf de Eccllesall. It was used for fulling. In 1516 the abbot leased the mill to John Carlton of Totley for 21 years.
After the dissolution of the monasteries (1537) part of the mill was used for cutlery making. Robert Mylenward cutler was working there in 1584 and his family were at the site in the 17th Century. In 1672 John Bright left the property to his son Anthony
By 1746, it was being used by John Tyzack for grinding scythe blades. Thomas Biggin had taken over the lease by 1797; he was a straw-knife maker. The Biggins were using the mill for grinding sickles in 1805.
It was used for paper making for a short time around 1828 and also for a wide range of other processes until the late 1860’s.
When the Midland Railway into Sheffield from the south and the Sheffield to Manchester (Hope Valley line) were constructed, Dore and Totley station was built on the land surrounding the Walk Mill and the course of the River Sheaf was changed. By 1890, the mill had been completely demolished.
The remains of a weir can be seen behind St John’s Abbeydale church hall.