Click Here to open a Google© map in a new window.
Upper Wheel could have been one of the three corn mills in Bradway around 1503. In1721, all three were owned by the Crowleys.
Thomas Biggin was given a 20 year lease for a mill and a wheel in Bradway in 1781 when it is thought that one of the mills underwent a change in use.
By 1806 the mills were being used for grinding, the owner was Edward Sampson. Thomas Slack was the tenant. Between 1806 and 1816 Upper Wheel was no longer in use, with the mill pond possibly being used as a reserve water supply for Bradway Mill.
When land surveys for the Manchester railway line were carried out in 1845 the only evidence of the mill was a head goit through the upper works to Bradway Mill.
What is visible now?
A linear depression is visible between the River Sheaf and the footpath from Mill Lane. It starts close to the junction of Old Hay Book and Totley Brook. This depression is marked on photograph sm07-001. The depression continues and opens out into what could be part of the silted up mill pond as these features line up with the site of the Upper Wheel head goit and mill pond shown on the 1805 plan.
The flat low lying area on the south east bank of the River Sheaf which ends at the apartment block could be the site of the Upper Wheel mill pond.